A Clean Cut to the Heart (If You're Capable of Mercy)

You want to see me cry? Show me my loves ones torn down.
Show them in pain, silenced and beaten into submission.
Show me every detail that separates a man from a monster.
Show me what is right in America,
Show me what it is not to be white.

"For my God, for my country, for my family..." I pray for your soul.

Tell me that there is nothing I can do to save them all.
Show me a child that  says ‘nigger’, ‘japs’, ‘jew’ all because his father or mother showed him how.
Show me how you tell a black man to go back to Africa when he's never been, when your forefathers brought his forefathers here on a slave ship.
Tell a Hispanic student he's taking a learning opportunity away from a white student.
Call an immigrant an alien or an illegal when they are a citizen.
Plant these infectious seeds of bigotry into future America,
lie to your recruitments and say that you're just like them.
Make me watch it on Television, in the news, through music, and  fix my thoughts to remember firsthand accounts.

You’ll see my walls torn down and my tough-gal act demolished.
Hold me in place, and make me watch.
Whisper in my ear how lucky I am. 
Tell me I can’t save the world. 
Tell me that we’re not all equal.
Tell me these are NOT my people, and I can’t save them all.
Show me the symbols you tattoo and wear like a purple heart.
Show me you’re wrong, misinformed, malicious interpretation of love.
Show me how you take in stray children and teach them what "love" is.

Tell me we’re not a melting pot, and that a part of me will be found dead, hanging in a tree.
Tell me Racism is what we need to keep The People safe.
Show me segregation, say those words of hatred my  tongue cannot even form.
 Tell me the world is hell-bound and there’s nothing I can do to stop it.

You’ll see me on my knees, begging God to forgive you, even though you’re not asking for it.
And these eyes ,that have seen this powerful wave of animosity, will never be dry again. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings UNmutual.

You Could Have Called the Angels

Making My Peace