How Time Flies

It seems like just yesterday we were kids,
I hated you and you loved it.
You made me so furious.
You brought out the worst in me.
I remember hitting you with a wire hanger,
and slamming your fingers in my bedroom door.
You made me run Butterfield Stage,
until I felt sick and you laughed.
You told me the Spice Girls were lesbians,
and sometimes pretended to be possessed,
just to make me cry.

I saw what I wanted to,
I never stopped to see how beautiful you are,
loving and thoughtful.
I never noticed that you walked me to school in the mornings,
and that you took care of me when Mom was at work late at night.
Of course you'd pick on me,
I was five, and you were only nine,
but you also made me food when I was hungry,
and made sure I got my homework done.
You were a child, taking care of a child.

I chose to always see you as my punk sister,
but it wasn't until I was fifteen,
that I saw you as a young woman,
who could one day be someone's wife,
and later someone's mother of their own.
It seems like just yesterday we were kids,
you'd pick on me
I spent my time trying to physically cause you pain.

Now we're all grown up,
and I'm building my future,
taking care of myself.
and you're someone's wife,
soon to be mother.
Wow, how time flies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings UNmutual.

Making My Peace

You Could Have Called the Angels