We Went on a Walk

We went on a walk.
Just Jake and me.
Brother and sister.
Both with iPods on,
phones in pocket,
with shorts and a tank top.
We talked about life,
(and not the life you tell people when they ask how you're doing. Real life. How we're really doing.)
We talked about girls.
boys.
movies.
music.

We went on a walk that turned into an adventure.
We climbed over tree roots, laced in the brim of the Earth.
Ran to the top of hills that lead to a handful of nothingness.
Jumped over ditches (or fell into mud found in ditches).
We didn't know where we were going.
Shoes came off and I allowed my feet to reach out
and meet with God's soil.

We went on a walk that turned into forty minutes
of nothing
and everything wonderful at once.
Not even the best of cameras could capture these moments,
even in the best of pictures.
(Pictures saying a thousand words would not be enough to describe our afternoon).
We smelled dinner cooking from every kitchen on Meandering Trail.
"Mmm, that's our home."
" No Jake, that couldn't possibly be."
" I know what I know. I'm part bloodhound."
I just laugh.
We never do this.
Why don't we do things like this?
I love my brother.

Mental Note: Gratitude. Have it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making My Peace

Feelings UNmutual.

Dreams Remind Me of a Small Child